Grub For On The Go!
Leading a busy lifestyle seems to be the norm for many of us. Especially if you are chasing any kind of adventures on top of the day to day routine. But living life in the fast lane doesn't have to mean fast food and sacrificing healthy choices. With spring comes a lot of new activities, more daylight and more adventures! Here are a few great recipes that with a little prep and planning you can grab and get back on the fast track!
DELICIOUS SKINNY TACO IN A JAR
* 1/2 lb ground turkey
*1 teaspoon chili powder
*1/2 teaspoon cumin
*1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
*1/4 teaspoon sea salt
*1/2 cup whole grain tortilla chips, broken
*1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
*3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
*1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
*1/2 cup salsa, no sugar added
Creamy Salsa Dressing: (optional)
*2 tblsp plain Greek yogurt
*2 tblsp ripe, mashed avocado
*Juice of 1 lime
*1/4 cup salsa
1. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add turkey. Cook until turkey is no longer pink and cooked through. Add spices, stir to combine and transfer to bowl to cool.
2. Divide the tortilla chips between six jars. Layer each with salsa, turkey mixture, tomatoes, lettuce and cheese.
3. Make the optional dressing by blending the yogurt, avocado, lime juice and salsa in a blender. Blend until creamy and smooth. Top the salad with the dressing. Seal the jars and store in the fridge until ready to eat. Enjoy within 1-2 days.
*included the dressing - Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size 1-1/4 cup (fills a pint-size jar) | Calories: 196
CAPRESE SALAD IN A JAR
*5 cups cherry tomatoes
*5 cups pearl mozzarella or 4 (9 oz) mozzarella balls
*20 fresh basil leaves
*1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
*1 teaspoon sea salt
1. In four individual jars, distribute the tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. Sprinkle with the sea salt and drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil.
2. Seal the jars and refrigerate. Take out from refrigerator when ready to go. Enjoy within 24 hours.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups (fills pint-sized jar) | Calories: 177